My Morning Routine
After I read Brandon Foken’s story “Why I Wake Up at 6 AM” I felt compelled to write about my own morning routine. Ever since I started developing a morning routine a few years ago, I’ve found it’s essential to start my day off with one, even if it does vary slightly depending on the day or what I’m working on. Like Brandon, I also get up at 6:00 am. Here’s what my current weekday morning routine looks like:
- 6:00 AM: Wake up, short stretch.
- 6:05 AM: Go into my office and turn on the computer — quickly check email on my phone while I wait for the computer to warm up.
- 6:10 AM: Work on writing or whatever course I’m working on. Right now, I’m working on a Social Media Marketing course on Alison.
- 6:30–6:45 AM: Depending on how long the course I’m working on takes me, or how into my writing I get, start getting ready for my workout during this time.
- 6:45 AM: Take medication.
- 6:50 AM: Finish getting ready to workout.
- 7:00 AM: Workout — right now I’m doing the Focus T25 workout from Beachbody.
- 7:30 AM: Shower.
- 7:45 AM: Out of the shower, get dressed.
- 8:00 AM: Breakfast.
- 8:15 AM: Back into the bathroom to finish getting ready for my day.
- 8:30 AM: Look at emails in more depth, decide which to trash and which to save to act on later.
- 8:45 AM: Start bringing up the websites and tools I need for my daytime job.
- 9:00 AM (most days, except for Monday) Start work. Hope the day goes smoothly and that there are no problems.
Now that I look at it, I get quite a bit accomplished in those three short hours. I try to be as organized as Brandon is, (i.e, getting my workout clothes ready the night before) but more often than not, I’m not. I could probably save even more time if I was, though.
How do you start your mornings off? Feel free to share below.