Stretching Myself as a Writer
I’ve been thinking lately about my writing goals for 2018. I’d really like to start stretching myself as a writer this coming year. I consider myself a pretty good writer, but so far I’ve mostly written for content mills or lower-paying writing websites. I want to start making more from my writing. I thought about different ways I could do that, and this is what I came up with:
- Enter writing contests — I want to enter at least one writing contest in 2018. I don’t care if I win or place, I’d just like to enter one writing contest so I can start working on improving the quality of my writing.
- Work on increasing how many words I write per week — I’m currently writing about 2,000 words per week on average between writing I do for different websites, and stories I publish on Medium. I’d like to start increasing that gradually.
- Submit a pitch for an article on a website — I don’t know which website or what kind of article I’ll pitch yet, but I want to submit an article pitch. I need to see which websites are accepting pitches, and what kind of articles they’re accepting.
- Start working on my memoir — I’ve been wanting to write my memoir for some time now, so I figured this would be a good time to start working on it. I probably won’t publish it for a while, but at least I can start getting ideas for what I want to include in it and how I want to structure it.
- Write more stories on Medium and submit some of them to the Medium Partner Program — Now that I’m finally signed up for the Medium Partner Program, I want to start writing more stories on Medium that I can submit to the Medium Partner program so I can earn money for them.
Those are my ideas for ways I can start stretching myself as a writer. I’m hoping to improve my writing and start earning more from it by working on these goals. I’ll provide updates on my progress once a month and reassess my goals at the end of each quarter. If you’ve set goals relating to your writing, I’d love to hear them.